Thursday, April 2, 2009

Downloading Music

So I hear Major labels are going against Independent Labels in the music business. Looks like sales are so low Indie records are getting close to the same numbers. Is the cause pirated music? I know I download music off the Internet, I only have a couple of real Cd's, but I don't think I always download because I don't want to pay. I have so much music that I wouldn't want to pay for most of it, and if I had to I would give it up. I think music quality just isn't as good as it used to be. Some albums I would go out and buy, those are the amazing ones I know are going to be great and love. That doesn't happen very often though. Even if it does the music gets bootlegged way before I can even get to the store and when I have all the songs what's my motivation to buy it?

Life after downloading... I don't think the music industry would recover so quickly if magically downloading music for free stopped. It would take a while for sales to go up again if they even do. We'll see how they can fix this problem. I say make better music, but there isn't money being made so i doubt labels while cough up money for those expenses. So would it be better at an Indie label? They don't make much money either so how do we solve this problem? Every question reminds me of the economy, it's funny how they correlate, you can juxtapose.

4 comments:

  1. I always buy my music. Well, sometimes. Usually my friends and I trade off who buys the next CD that comes out. I know that is pretty much stealing the band and record label's money but, WE don't have enough money either to buy everything! I don't have any kind of downloading system either because it wrecked my old computer. I feel bad for the music industry for losing all this money but...we can't afford it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok first of all I love the use of the word juxtapose!! But I agree with you, music industries are loosing a lot of money because of downloading but if it did suddenly stop I dint think that I would go out and buy music, people will always find some way to get music for free and if they didn’t I don’t think that the music industry would recover that fast. The problem with making new CD's with better music is that people would just download the music all over again, so it’s kind of a downward spiral. I actually don’t get how the music industry is still going but I guess there must still be people buying a lot of stuff out there. But no matter what happens music will always continue to thrive because music is the most amazing thing ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE NEVER BOUGHT A SING SONG FROM ITUNES. I BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE OVER RATED. 99 CENTS FOR A SINGLE SONG COME ON. THAT IS SAD. I GET ALL MY MUSIC FROM LIMEWIRE, AND I BOUGHT LIME WIRE SO NO ONE CAN SAY ANYTHING ABOUT FREE MUSIC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never bought Limewire but i agree with one of the comments that it is stupid to buy music because why would I want to spend 99 cents or 1.99 on a song i'm probably only going to listen for like a week or two and then prob move on to another song. I'm also surprised how there are artists still selling cds when you can easily just go on limewire or something and find out what the songs are on the album and just download and you can practically have the album for free.

    ReplyDelete